top of page



The Homes were founded in 1872 and were built in a romantic half timbered free Tudor style to a design of Sir George Gilbert Scott who, at that time, lived nearby and was also carrying out extensive works to the adjoining church of St Nicholas.  The buildings are listed Grade II* and consist of six one person dwellings and two slightly larger ones each suitable for a couple. There is also a chapel and the original well and accompanying shingled roof structure.

The Homes were founded through the sole generosity of Mrs Augusta Nona Hunt a wealthy widow who lived in the parish with her daughter Mabel Fanny. Mabel died tragically shortly after her 16th birthday and in her grief Mrs Hunt resolved to commemorate her daughter by the founding of St Mary’s Homes for the elderly of the parish. 


St. Mary’s Homes is a registered charity (No. 206075 and is administered by trustees. The objects of the charity are to provide sheltered accommodation to those in need who are able to maintain themselves at an affordable price in a peaceful and supportive environment. The residents pay a monthly contribution to cover the costs of maintenance, heating and other services. The amount payable is well below the equivalent fair rent determined by the Valuation Office Agency. 

Vacancies occur from time to time and enquiries should be referred to the Hon Secretary, Philip Anderson at 13, The Priory, Godstone, RH9 8NL or by calling 01883 742655.

bottom of page